Washington State DUI Law
Questions about WA DUI laws? Email us today.
Drunk driving defense based on Washington law.
Any quality defense to Seattle DUI charges can only be based on Washington law, because these are the only types of arguments the Washington courts will hear. For this reason it is vital that you be ready with your defense BEFORE the date of your first court appearance or Department of Licensing Hearing.
So if you’ve been charged with one of the aforementioned crimes, you don’t have a lot of time. You can take positive action now by contacting one of our Seattle DUI attorneys, so that they can help you get a better understanding of Washington State DUI law and how it applies to your particular situation.
We offer a free consultation to everyone, so you can start getting some information about Washington drunk driving law, risk-free, and with no monetary commitment until you’re ready to take the next step. If you decide to retain one of our Seattle DUI lawyers, they will immediately start working on a defense based on Washington DUI law, designed to minimize the penalties associated with your offense.
Washington DUI laws – an important overview.
Washington State DUI laws outline the many rules that govern Seattle drunk driving crimes and the penalties meted out to punish those who are convicted. Different charges require different legal defenses, which underscores why understanding Washington DUI law is so important if you’ve been charged with a drunk driving crime.
For example, while the same mandatory penalties apply to a Seattle DUI as a physical control violation, the law indentifies them as two very different crimes. Also consider that a regular DUI and a Seattle Minor DUI are not only defined as two differing offenses, but the penalties are also substantially different.
Washington State drunk driving laws are often confusing to anyone that isn’t well versed in the law, so if you’ve been charged with one of Washington’s drunk driving crimes it makes sense to talk to one of our Seattle DUI attorneys and get the facts. If your goal is to minimize the penalties associated with a WA drunk driving offense by fighting the charge or negotiating a plea bargain, then there is little doubt than a qualified attorney will give you the best chance of success. With decades of combined real-world experience, our Seattle DUI lawyers are equipped to give you a better understanding of Washington DUI law BEFORE your first court date.
Washington State DUI laws and how they apply to your Seattle DUI.
While it’s true that most everyone understands what it means to drive under the influence (DUI), few have an understanding of the written laws that apply to the many crimes that fall under that umbrella. Examine this simple overview of these crimes as they are delineated in Washington DUI law, so that you can get a better idea of what each one entails.
- DUI Crime – This is commonly referred to as Driving Under the Influence, and is the most common Seattle drunk driving violation. In Seattle, if you are caught driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or higher then you could be arrested for DUI in Washington State.
- Physical Control Violation – Washington State DUI law describes this as a non-driving offense, which means that you can be changed for physical violation if you are located anywhere inside the vehicle, or even outside, according to Washington law.
- Minor DUI – The law states that if you are 21 years old or younger, and your BAC is .02 or higher, then you could be charged with this serious and potentially life-altering offense. A conviction imposes mandatory and discretionary penalties that should be taken seriously.
- Reckless Driving – Washington has some of the most severe punishments for breaking laws in the United States, and reckless driving in Seattle is no different.
- Negligent Driving – The damages from a guilty ruling can be life altering and far reaching, so you should take a negligent driving charge just as seriously as you would any other.
- Street Racing – Washington law is clear when it describes this crime – two vehicles engaged in a relative contest of speed are considered to be racing. This crime is very similar to a reckless driving charge in Seattle, and the penalties are identical.
Washington State drunk driving laws can be confusing.
There are certainly areas of confusion when it comes to Washington State DUI laws, especially when it includes cases involving reckless driving, negligent driving, and racing charges. Perhaps one of the most confusing areas of Washington DUI law is the physical control violation. Many people don’t understand how they can be charged with this type crime, especially if they weren’t even operating the vehicle. We have heard many clients over the years tell us that they were safely pulled over to the side of the road and simply sleeping in the backseat.
Allow our Seattle DUI attorneys to shed some light on how the specific WA DUI laws will affect your case. With our extensive experience over the years in handling drunk driving cases, it makes sense to allow us to do the hard work on your behalf. The courts will only listen to a defense supported by WA State DUI law, and this is an area that we are genuinely familiar with.
Washington State’s DUI laws and the impact on your life.
When many people think of a WA DUI, images of being pulled over by a police officer and being requested to perform what we like to refer to as “roadside gymnastics” often comes to mind. A breathalyzer or blood test will often follow, in which case if your BAC is .08 or more, according to Washington State law, you will be charged with drunk driving.
In circumstances where the blood alcohol level is found to be greater than .15, even harsher penalties may follow. The lasting effects of breaking Washington State DUI laws can be severe – impacting one’s employment (especially if you are a commercial driver) and driving up the cost of insurance premiums.
There is no doubt of the possible negative ramifications that a drunk driving related conviction can have on one’s life. For this reason, it’s imperative to have a knowledgeable Seattle DUI lawyer aggressively fighting for you. We’ll help to make sure that you’re prepared for your Washington DOL hearing, and be at your side during court.
You don’t have to face this nightmare alone.
You don’t’ have to face this DUI nightmare alone – call for your free initial consultation today, and rest easy knowing that our firm provides low payment options to make building you a strong defense affordable. Our competent team can clear up the confusion surrounding the complexities of the DUI laws of Washington State and get you on your way of putting this situation behind you!
Contact us for your FREE consultation.
1218 3rd Ave, Seattle, WA 98101